Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Stones diagnosed in bladder and left side kidney. Best medication?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 495 Questions
had stones before 6 years and cured,now i have been facing the same problem 2 stones diagnosed 1 in bladder(4.2mm) and another one in leftside kidney 7.2mm and i like to know the following things
1,this size is normal or a bigger one which need immediate remedy?
2,best medication?
3,tips to get rid without surgery
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
See detailed answer

Detailed Answer:
Hi there
Thank you for sending in your query.

Kidney stones is a common medical problem and this condition often recurs.

I will answer your questions one by one:

1) Treatment for existing stones: The stone in the bladder is small and could pass down naturally. You could help the process by drinking lots of fluids (~2.5L/day).

The kidney stone is a little big. It may or may not pass on its own. However it does not need an emergency treatment unless you have severe pain, bleeding or infection.

Again drinking lots of fluids may help to flush it out. I would recommend that you repeat the ultrasound after 4-8 weeks and see how its going. If the stone remains at the same position, you should see a urologist.

2) Unfortunately there is no oral medication to dissolve existing stones.

3) Tips to get rid of the stones without surgery: You could try using a medication called as tamsulosin to facilitate the natural passage of stones (under the supervision of a doctor). This combined with lots of fluids has benefited patients.

Once we are through this episode we need to get a metabolic work up done on you. This consists of a special panel of blood and urine tests which will tell us if you have any particular problem which is predisposing you to stone formation.

If any problem is detected we could also suggest appropriate measures.

Hope this was helpful
Feel free to contact me if you have further questions.

Dr. Bhabhe
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor