question-icon

Stomach spasm and heart burn. What are the chances of getting heart attack?

Posted on Thu, 7 Nov 2013
Question: been having like stomach spasm all day. and lots of heart burn. what r the chances that im having a heart attack. I'm 29 and in pretty good health.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be Heart related problem.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Generally, it is very unusual and unlikely to have a cardiac related problem at your age (unless you have a strong family history of heart diseases).

Most often it could be Gastritis with Acid reflux producing typical retrosternal pain & discomfort mimicking Heart attack. This can be effectively treated symptomatically by intake of antacid gels and Proton pump inhibitor drugs like Rabeprazole, pantoprazole, Ilaprazole etc. An endoscopy is needed to rule out the presence of any Gastric or duodenal ulcers that are producing the symtoms.

I suggest you to consult a Gastroenterologist for a proper evaluation and further management.

The typical features of chest pain of cardiac origin -
*Pain is diffuse in nature and is felt over the entire chest wall
* It may radiate to jaw, shoulder, neck and arm
* It is tight , sqeezing or choking in nature
* It is made worse by exertion or emotion
* relieved by rest

If you are still concerned, approach a cardiologist to get an ECG, Treadmill test and Echo to rule out any heart issues.

Hope I have addressed your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement