Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Stomach pain, weight gain, exploratory surgery done, no periods for two years, increased risk of infertility, cancer. Treatment ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12677 Questions
I will first give some back ground information, I have a girlfriend that will be 19 early next year, and she has not had her period for close to 2 years now.
She has stomach pain all the time, and has gained a few pounds, she has been to a number of different docters, as well as several visits to a gynecologist, and about a month ago had exploratory surgery to see if that would reveal anything, and it did not.
Her docter told her last week that everything is fine, just go home and rest.
However, the gynecologist said that if things do not change soon she might not be able to have any children, as well as a increased risk of cancer.
I am starting to feel like things are not really under control.
What are your thoughts or suggestions on this matter?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
Not having any periods for last two years at the age of 19 is not expected. I would like to have some more specific information to give you an informed oipnion in this regard.
1. Was she taking any contraceptive pills?
2. Did you have any sexual relations with her?
3. for how long is she having a sudden weight gain?
4. Is she having any chronic illness like tuberculosis?
5. Which hormone tests has she undergone?
6. What were the findings of her surgery that was performed?
It would be best if you upload all the available reports in the box provided with this query.
Anticipating an early response.
Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Stomach pain, weight gain, exploratory surgery done, no periods for two years, increased risk of infertility, cancer. Treatment ? 4 days later
She has never used birth control, and does not have TB.
The weight gain has been within the last 10 months, and it is about 5 lbs or so.
She has not taken any hormone tests, and the doctors who proformed the surgery said they found nothing abnormal.
She had a xray yesterday, and is having a ultrasound and a blood test today, asd will learn the xray results.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 59 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

It should be quite challenging going through so much at this young age. I understand your concern.

You have provided with good information, I understand your inability to provide further information as it requires further evaluation of your Girlfriend.

I greatly appreciate what you are doing for her.

I have gone through your description and I feel that, She needs to have a detailed examination by an experienced gynecologist. And she must get her thyroid profile, serum LH, FSH, Prolactin, complete blood picture, ultrasound scan and other relevant investigations done to come to a diagnosis.

You have mentioned that she underwent an exploratory surgery to find out the problem. Such a decision would not have been taken without a thorough evaluation of her hormonal status and other investigations. It would be great if I could get a look at those reports so that I would be in a better position to give you an informed opinion.

While assessing this condition a protocol will be followed according to which she should get the following tests done in the order given below.

1. Pregnancy test.
2. Check Prolactin and TSH levels -- a) If both normal-Progesteron challenge test, and further tests.
b) TSH abnormal-- MRI.
3. Estrogen and progesterone challenge challenge test.
4. FSH and LH levels.
5. Hysterosalpingogram.
6. Diagnostic laparoscopy.

Surgical interventions are always considered last. I strongly feel that she has undergone these tests.

It would be of great help if you can tell me the name of the surgical procedure she underwent.

I suggest you discuss these matters directly with her treating doctors once you get the test results. I suppose they would be able to clarify your doubts better.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Write back if you have further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor