Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Stomach pain, reflux, hiatal hernia, GERD, IBS. Weight loss due to H. pylori or IBS? Loss of sensation related to gut?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1997
Answered : 65 Questions
At a complete loss - what steps should I be taking?

I have had ongoing problems stomach since taking a cold sore pill in Brazil in 2007. caused some kind of gastritis . Since then had (on-off)stomach pains,heartburn, Reflux, not normal stools, bouts of urgency to go to the toilet. 2009 i had blood in my stools, had a endoscopy and sigmoscopy -found a small benign polypn and small hiatal hernia. Symptoms contituned on-off. My doc 1yr ago said was GERD, more recent (6months) IBS. Have only 1 mth ago taken Omeprazole-seem to stop some reflux-but seems to cause probs with breathing -felt like belt being tightened round my diaphragm so much-was hunching over (without realizing sometimes) when walking. seem to have more in hot weather,- alcohol relieve symptoms?!Since joined new GP they have assessed records, this week test for H pylori.-result in 2 days. Above&beyond all of this though - in the last 12-18months have been losing weight without trying or wanting to. 6 months ago intensive PT @gym,eating diet used by bodybuilders.Didn't put on single lb. Same approach 2 years ago-bulked up loads .All friends& family mentioning 12 months back how much thinner I was looking. Me look at photos-WOW- I have lost 14-18 lbs, (in the last 3 months lost 7lbs) have 0 body fa- was145lbs-now 126-no matter how much I eat or little I exercise-cannot maritain my weight or bulk.Could this all simply be down to H pylori or IBS I used to be allergic to eggs and that does cause mild irritation but not really bad - surely that couldnt cause all of this. I have tested negative gluten intolerance.Alsohad MRI 8 months back-was having loss of sensation in hands,legs, neuralgia, dizzinesss.It came back negative-specialist said was migraines. Could these symptoms be related to a problem with gut? A holistic nutritionist said I had leaky gut-claims explains ALL my symptoms. What should i do? Might come back I have h pylori but lots of people have this and am worried that the diagnsis/treatment of it could mask something more sinister
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Banait 26 hours later

Your description is good and elaborate. I shall try working on your elaborate query and hope to provide you some useful information.

The fact that you had bleeding in your stool and that there is unintentional weight loss makes diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome less likely.

There is a possibility regarding GERD (gastro-oesophageal reflux disease) as you are having heart burn, regurgitation and hiatus hernia . You should benefit with PPI (Proton pump inhibitors). In addition, the sense of bloating, fullness or belt tightened around upper abdomen might be arising out of Gastric antropyloric Ulcer or dysmotility. Addition of prokinetic agent like domperidone or itopride may help. Discuss with your gastroenterologist who can prescribe the 'prokinetic drug' to you.

Small polyp also is unlikely to result in urgency and weight loss.

This weight loss that you mentioned seems concerning to me. You need further work up here. Perhaps a few relevant tests such as stool examination and culture, colonoscopy and if all is normal may be CT (Computerised Tomography) enteroclysis would help us to diagnose the problem. In fact the examination by an efficient gastroenterologist may help better streamlining these investigations.

Meantime you should increase fiber intake in your diet and see whether it helps.

Please note that the band like sensation in upper abdomen may result from spinal disease too. But as you did not have other neurological symptom, possibility is very less.

You seem to be having a chronic condition which needs a proper evaluation by a competent expert. As explained, an efficient gastroenterologist will help you in evaluation, diagnosing and treating you.

Hope this answer is helpful and useful to you.

Best Regards,
Dr Vaibhav Banait
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor