Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

Stomach pain, diverticulitis, appendicitis, bloating, dark stools. Can this be a ruptured apendix?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Oncologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 576 Questions
I been having stomach pains so my doctor order a CT 5 days ago. The results came back that I had border line diverticulitis and border line appendicitis. Since at the time most all my pain was upper left stomach she decided to treat it with antibiotics 2 different kinds. Well since then my pain has been spreading to just a few pains on my right but it hurts (deep dull) in my lower back and its hard to walk. I'm not too bad if I lay down. My right side feels bloated. Since I' d been taking the antibiotics my stool in loose and very dark XXXXXXX Oh yah, she also ordered some blood work, but it will not be back until Thursday. I'm just feeling pretty bad and worried about a ruptured appendix. Should I be worried?
Posted Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 3 hours later

I can see that you are going through a tough phase and I will do my best to help you out.

The CT of your abdomen has pointed out two problems and the pain you are describing can be attributed to either one of them. The left sided pain is more typical of diverticulitis, but it is usually associated with fever. A complicated diverticulitis (rupture or abscess) can give rise to generalized pain and diarrhoea, but it is associated with high grade fever with chills and rigors.

Appendicitis on the other hand with give rise to right lower abdomen pain, which can spread to the rest of the abdomen, if the appendix ruptures. In that case, the pain is very severe and it becomes difficult for the patient to move around. This is also associated with high grade fever and sometimes diarrhoea.

In both the cases antibiotics are important and I don’t think they are the cause of your diarrhoea. My sincere advice to you would be to follow up with your doctor and let her examine you for any signs of complicated appendicitis/ diverticulitis, which if present, will warrant surgical intervention. She might even get an ultrasound to help in reaching the diagnosis.

Hope I have been able to answer your queries and you get well soon.

Please do write back in case you have follow up queries to ask.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor