Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Stomach cancer, ulcers, gastric mucosal abnormality, H Pylori. Medication ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
1)I had T1A stomach cancer removed on march this year. I have a gastritis and ulcer and took the Prilosec from last October to end of MAY this year, however my gastritis does not improve at all. I am 68, I am pretty sure I do not have enough stomach acid to digest food beside my age. According the Web information, if the stomach does not make enough acid to digest food, which leads to stomach cancer; shutting down stomach acid production leads to stomach cancer. I do not want to take prilosec to treat my gastritis and ulcer for this reason. I do not want have another stomach cancer. please give me the name of effective medicines for a Gastritis and Ulcer beside the Omeprazole.---2) What is -Gastric mucosal abnorality characterized by texture change: The jumbo biopsy forceps allowed for EMR of the site, over an area of two cm X two cm. and I like know how to treat this. if how to remove this big site if needed to remove. I know this is kind of pre-cancer but how XXXXXXX I do not have H Pylori by Endoscopy biopsy inspection, blood test, stool test.

Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for the query.

Your question is a good one and i will try to help you with good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

First of all I disagree that not having stomach enough acid is a pure risk factor for stomach cancer. We in fact know that too much acid can lead to changes in the esophagus through a mechanism of reflux so it becomes a challenge to balance adequate acid production. Along these lines I think omeprazole would not be a bad idea for you especially if you have symptoms of peptic ulcer disease.

There are other mechanisms to improve the environment of the stomach including drugs like ranitidine or sucralfate which help protect damaged areas of the stomach and promotes healing. If you really want a true measure of acidity in the stomach I suggest you request a Ph monitor where a doctor will be able to measure the average acid content of the stomach over time and give you an idea if it is high normal or low.

Your second question is a bit difficult to understand. If you have a report which shows which abnormality you are talking about I would be happy to review it to give you some recommendations. Please attach copies of reports and email them to my attention at YYYY@YYYY and i will be sure to review them thoroughly.

Again I thank you for the query and look forward to giving you helpful recommendations upon receiving your reply with additional information.


Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor