Stomach ache and gastric problem. Suggest treatment

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have stomach ache and feel gas rolling around. Is there anything I can do to help expel the gas?
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need more information.

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you.

I need some more information before I can give my opinion.

1. How long have you been having stomach ache?
2. Is it in the upper part or lower?
3. How is the bowel movement?
4. Does food intake reduce pain?
5. Are you on any medications?
6. Any medical illness?

Get back to me with these information and I would give my opinion.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 25 minutes later
Only for a couple of days on and off. It is in the lower. The bowel movements are good. No. Just Dilantin. None that I know of. I do have Daviticulosis.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer given below

Detailed Answer:
Since you have diverticulosis, the pain in the lower abdomen could be due to diverticulitis. It can be confirmed with CT scan of the abdomen.
You may need a course of antibiotics for relief.

For relief from gas, you can take probiotic supplements and the medication simethicone.

Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 6 minutes later
I had the same symtoms about a year ago. CT was done and no daverticulitis was found just diverticulosis. Can diverticulosis cause this and will the medications you mentioned help to expel gas?
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer given below

Detailed Answer:
Diverticulosis most often remains silent without any symptoms.
Only complicated diverticulosis causes symptoms and this includes diverticulitis, bleeding etc.
Yes the medications I have mentioned help to get relief from gas.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini