Sticky foul smelling stools, gas formation in lower abdomen. Reasons?

Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 13 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Stool in the morning comes out a XXXXXXX color. The first bowel looks to be of regular consistancy and size but what comes after is about have the size and a little bit loose. If I have a second BM during the day I feel a "gas-type" discomfort in my lower abdomen. The second BM seems to be a normal brown color but size and consistency is the same.

I have more gas than I normally have had in the past and it smells as rancid as can be (never had this problem)
Sometimes the BM sticks to the side of the bowl.
It takes me quite some time to clean myself (about 5-8 wipes)
symptoms have lasted for about six months now

I am 31 yo
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 9 hours later
Hello.

Sticky foul smelling stools are usually secondary to excess fat in the stool also called Steatorrhea.

This occurs if you have -

1) Fat maldigestion - Secondary to bile acid defeciencies or pancreatic insufficiency. Rarely this also occurs in hyperacidity condition (Zollinger Ellison syndrome) where acid deactivates bile acids and enzymes.
2) Fat malabsorption - which occurs in mucosal diaseases of small intestines or because of bacterial overgrowth.

Since I donot have anymore information regarding pain abdomen, loss of appetite and weight, it is difficult to suggest anything further.

I would suggest you to consult Gastroenterologist to get yourself evaluated with investigations like stool examination, blood sugars, abdominal imaging.

Hope, this answers your query. I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Regards.
Dr XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Jyoti Patil
Follow up: Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 1 hour later
Thank you for you prompt response doctor.

I don't have abdominal pain throughout the day. I do feel what I describe as pressure in my lower abdomen that feels like I need to pass gas. I have not lost wieght.
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the clarification

Get a stool examination for routine things and fat globules. Get a stool steatocrit also. Based on the results we can suggest you further.

Do write back with the reports.

Regards.

Dr XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D