Stent in kidney, right kidney not functioning, chemotherapy. Precautions to protect kidneys ?
I am a 63 y/o male dx with PC in 2000, radical prostatectectomy in 2001. Since that time the cancer has metastasized to the bone, lungs and liver. I have kidney problems as well. A stent was placed in the right kidney in January 2010 due to swelling. I learned from my urologist after having a renal scan my urologist advises that my right kidney is not functioning at all and my left is not functioning too well. My question is how do I protect this kidney now. I will continue with my next chemo treatment in a week. I just began chemo as of 30 XXXXXXX
I am worried that my left kidney may shut down if I don't take measures to protect it. At this time my urologist is suggesting placing a stent in the left kidney.
Should I see a nephrologist and have him consult with my Oncologist? I am fearful of having kidney failure. What can I do righ now?
Thanks for posting your query.
I can understand your concern for kidney well being especially when metastasis has occurred to the bone, lungs and liver. Moreover you are having renal failure of right side and this is aggravating the problem.
In such a case, first of all, it is advisable to avoid any nephrotoxic drugs which may cause acute renal failure or renal shotdown. Nephrotoxicity occurs when your body is exposed to a drug or toxin that causes damage to your kidneys. In your case, chemotherapy drugs like Cisplatin, Carboplatin, Carmustine, Mitomycin, high-dose Methotrexate may be nephrotoxic and hence these can be avoided.
NSAID’s (non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) which are often used as pain killers are also nephrotoxic.
It will be best to consult a nephrologist as well and the oncologist and nephrologist should work together for this.
Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
Wishing you good health.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Oral chemotherapy precautions
- Stent in brain for chemotherapy
- Chemotherapy excretion precaution
- Body fluids and chemotherapy precautions
- Ureter stents after chemotherapy
- Kidney affected after chemotherapy how to recover
- Oral chemotherapy safety precautions
- Ons chemotherapy precautions
- Kidney cancer stage 4 chemotherapy pneumonitis
- Chemotherapy protect from light
- How are high levels of homocystiene treated ?
- WBC in urine, pain, pressure in vagina, stinging, burning sensation...
- Do antidepressants cause weight loss ?
- Celexa a clamipromine, anti-depressant, anti anxiety, safe to take fun...
- What causes pain in the knees and feet ?
- MSRA infection, bactrim, flagyl, spot on labia, drained, new one formed....
- I have fever, fatigue and daily headache. What do these symptoms suggest?
- My coccyx was injured previously and I have severe pain in the area. How...
- I have cramps in my calves and feet, sweating at night and am not able...
- Dark bruise on spine, trauma, blood capillaries ruptured, post...