Started vomiting, loose motion and abdominal pain. Test showed elevated SGPT level. Diet plan?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: My daughter 16 plus is suffering from omitting, loose motion and pain in stomach last two days. We have done one test SGPT which is 490. What is to done? It is very abnormal. Please advice daily diet.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Elevated SGPT level indicates liver cell destruction. However it is very hard to tell the reason of it according to only one test. It can be caused by bile ducts obstruction due to gallstones, acute pancreatitis, viral liver infection, alcohol abuse, mediciens overdose.
It is strongly advisable for your doughter to have some diagnostics. Abdominal ultrasound, full blood work, liver tests (AST,ALT, GGTP), amylase, bilirubin, urine analysis. If no cause found in this tests, liver viral infection should be done as well.
Please do not neglect this symptoms.
Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 hours later
Please advise dietry
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 hours later
Hello!

The liver regenerating diet contains boiled meat and vegetables. You should avoid spicy foods, fried foods and fatty foods. Alcohol and medicines metabolized in the liver (like Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) should be avoided as well. You can also use some liver improving supplements available without prescription.
It takes from 3 weeks to 3 months for the liver to get regenerated, so you should have liver tests repeated in a month or so.

Hope this will help.
Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 days later
her sgpt 302 on 21st and today it is 307 and fever is about 98. she is taking zocet 500 and taridid 200. 8 days has passed and she is taking only foods. she cames weak. please advise line of treatment and diet
she is taking only fruit and fruit juice. please advise

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 hours later
Hello!

Like I`have written before, no diet will help. She needs proper diagnosis and treatment as, like you have noticed, without it her condition will not improve.
She should have checked GGTP,AP, amylase, bilirubin, HBV and HCV antibodies levels. and abdominal ultrasound. She might need surgery or ERCP procedure. Please do not neglect it as she wont improve without it.

Hope this will help.

Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
what ggtp and give full detail for HBV (which one to be covered)
Hello!
She should has tests mentioned below:
GGTP (also know as GGT) - Gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase - enzyme which gets elevated witch bile ducts obstruction
AP - alkaline phosphatasis - also elevated due to bile ducts obstruction
HBsAg - indicates current HBV infection
Anti-HCV - indicates curent or previous HCV infection
amylase, lipase - elevated with pancreas diseases
Abdominal ultrasound - to see liver condition, bile ducts obstruction,

You should also visit gastroenterologist.

Hope this will help.
Regards.