Started vomiting after drinking all out mosquito liquid. What are the risks?

Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Infections
Question: dear sir my name is XXXXXXX and i drunk all out mosquito liquide on last night but after it i omit the liquide with salt water. kindly suggest what will my next step.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 47 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX,

All out mosquito repellents contain mostly Prallethrin .Prallethrin is a synthetic insecticide chemically related to pyrethroids.
Ingestion of pyrethroid causes nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, dizziness, headache, fatigue, palpitation, tightness in chest and blurring of vision. Coma, convulsions and pulmonary oedema are uncommon but can occur in severe poisoning.
There is no specific antidote for pyrethroid toxicity, therefore management is only symptomatic and supportive.
Following ingestion of large amount of pyrethroids, gastro- intestinal decontamination may be done if patients report to hospital within a few hours .
I assume you have tried self decontamination by vomiting but it does not assure of complete elimination of the poison from your system .
So I would advise you consult the nearest emergency facility or multispeciality hospital in your area where the doctors can thoroughly assess you and investigate you for complications . They can start injections and medications which can eliminate the poison from your blood faster and prevent complications .
Please do not hesitate to seek medical help even If you have no symptoms at present . The symptoms may develop after few hours so it's best not to wait and go for immediate treatment .
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.