Started vomiting. Diagnosed with gastroenteritis. Accidentally took Xanax .25mg. Any side effects?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: A friend's daughter became sick this afternoon with violent vomiting. She has been seen in an ER and gastroenteritis was diagnosed and she was sent home. She had been playing in my handbag earlier that morning and I had Xanax .25mg in there and now I'm worried that she might have swallowed one without any of us knowing. What would the symptoms be and how soon would they occur?
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 39 minutes later
Welcome to HCM!

Xanax is alprazolam.
The known side effects of over dose are confusion, drowsiness,muscle weakness,loss of coordination,etc.
The drug gets absorbed in 2 hrs
and effect lasts for about 12 hrs
Is the child otherwise OK now ?
What I mean is the chid is alert active ,etc.
In this case it is unlikely to be drug effect.
Also vomiting is not a side effect of the drug.

In fact if the child vomited within 2hrs of possible drug intake,it is good because the drug would have come out of the stomach before getting absorbed.

I know how you must be feeling!
Just check with the mother how she is doing now?
Are you sure how many tablets you had in your purse and how many may be possibly missing?

Keep observing and if the child is active and playing apart from the gastroenteritis,you need not worry.

On the other hand if you are not sure how many were missing,you go back to ER and inform them as there are antidotes available for benzodiazepine overdose.

I sincerely hope the child is alright!

Dr Uma
Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 14 minutes later
Thankyou so much. There was only possibly one tablet in my purse, it's just that I found the empty blister wrapping that made me worry.

She was discharged from the hospital and decorated the Christmas tree so I suspect I was worried about nothing and didn't want to give her parents unnecessary cause for concern.

Thanks again :)
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 8 minutes later
Yes very true!
One tablet is better than many!
Secondly blister packs are childproof usually!

I know you will be relaxed when 24 hrs will pass!
God bless
Dr Uma