Started spotting before and after periods. Feeling bloated. Could I be pregnant?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Question: I started spotting 2 days before my period which is wierd for me. I then got my period which lasted 3 days, also wierd for me as it usually lasts 5 and it was lighter than usual but still enough to be called a period and not spotting. 2 days after my period finished, I started spotting again, lasting 2 days. That stopped yesturday but today I am bloated and have light cramping. I have also been really tired for about 1 week. Could I be pregnant or is this all a wierd cycle?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 21 minutes later

According to your description the possibilities are:
-If you had unprotected intercourse around the time of your ovulation then there is possibility for pregnancy.
Some women can have bleeding during their expected dates of periods even being pregnant.
-Hormonal irregularity like irregular ripening, which can present with spotting before periods and can continue further.
-Thyroid hormonal fluctuation can lead to menstrual irregularity.

So you once consult gynecologist and undergo either blood or urine test for pregnancy.
If that comes negative go for physical examination, ultrasound and hormonal assay for estrogen, progesterone, FSH, LH, prolactin, thyroid hormones etc.
With this primary workup the possible cause for your problem can be made out and treatment can be given.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.