Started spotting after taking norethisteron. Does norethisterone affect ivf or ovulation?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi

I'm egg sharing and was about to come on so the fertility nurse gave me norethistherone. However the first day I received it, I started the tablet and in the evening I started bleeding. I presume this was my period and norethisteron was taken too late. The nurse said to continue to take this and I have. I'm about to finish my last tablet today and during the last seven days I have bled. I wouldn't say a full bleed but my a brown type ( beginning or end of a cycle. I'm doing a short protocol so start stims the second day after bleeding.

My question is will taking norethisteron interfere with my ivf cycle as I know that norethisteron doesn't affect ovulation. I have a short cycle of only 23 days so would be ovulating now. I want the best chance of the ivf working as this is my last chance and I can't egg share again or afford a round of ivf. I also feel it was too late to take norethisteron and that was more period.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 35 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for trusting us with your health query.
As you have had only spotting, and not a proper period, the norethisterone was probably taken in the XXXXXXX of time.
You would soon know when you start your stimulation , on the second day of your proper period bleed.
Norethisterone does not affect ovulation, however, on the first day of stimulation itself, your infertility practitioner would be examining you, and in case you have already ovulated, or about to, then am sure the stimulation would not be started at all.
My opinion is that this was not a full blown period, and only mild spotting, which often occurs on norethisterone, so you would not be ovulating now. Have you had any symptoms of ovulation by the way?
A good idea would be to consult your infertility practitioner , who would easily know on a transvaginal scan, what is the status of your endometrium and ovaries.

Take care and all the best for this cycle.