Started spotting after taking emergency contraceptive pill. Is this normal?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: Hi Doc,

I had coitus with my fiancee on 11th day (counting from her first day of menstrual cycle). She took UNWANTED- 72 (an oral emergency contraceptive pill ) within an hour. Approximately after 10 days of taking the pill , she started experiencing spotting which still continues(today being 8th day). Her due date for cycle is in 3 days.
1) Is this spotting because of the pill and is it normal to have it for this long duration ?
2)Could she be pregnant?
3)Can we do the pregnancy blood test at this stage?

Thanks,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
1...After you take emergency contraception (EC) it is normal for your next period to different than it is usually is. It may come earlier or later than it normally does. It is also possible for it to be heavier, lighter, more spotty or the same as usual. So what you are experiencing could certainly be your period that is just presenting a little differently than it normally does because of taking EC.

2...As for your concerns about being pregnant, you did take the EC within 24 hours of having unprotected sex (which is very good as it is most effective when taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex), it sounds like you did get your period.Although the chances of pregnancy are very remote but the possibility does exist.

3... You may go for blood test at this stage.

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks