Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Started smoking and drinking. Having muscle pain, breathing difficulties and snores. What is going on?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1775 Questions
I have a son who is experiencing muscle aches fingers and wrists hurt... Doesnt sleep well cery few hrs per nite... I know he has breathing difficulties and snores... He drinks alot. Recently started smoking again and dipping.... He us very moody... Hot temper and neg thoughts... Hes 24 single and loces music but lately gone through relationship breakup and a jail stay for dwi which was tramatic for him for a short time now he just doesnt care if he gets in any more trouble! Im a desparate mom trying to get help but he wont go see a dr. Can you help... He feels bad and hurts physically and has no drive....
Posted Fri, 16 Nov 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 6 hours later

I am sorry to hear about your helplessness to take your son to the doctor when he needs one immediately.

At this stage I think he is undergoing a lot of mental and physical turmoil. This is because of the excessive alcohol consumption and relationship breakup. There are chances of depression and acute stress disorder at this stage. Ideally he needs both medication and counseling at this stage. I am not sure if you can still push him for a consultation with a primary physician.

I can suggest some over the counter medications but his symptoms may resume after their effects wear off. You can give him the following:
1) Tab PRILOSEC OTC 20 mg before breakfast and dinner
2) Tab MOTRIN 200mg after breakfast lunch and dinner

Please remember that if he consumes alcohol he can deteriorate further. You have a greater role to stop him from consuming alcohol. He needs a battery of lab tests too ASAP. The best advice from me would always be taking to a detox or rehab centre to quit alcohol and counsel from an expert.

Let me know if I can help further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor