Owl Image

Started shivering and have muscle spasms in legs. How to get relief?

Question
Hi I have been having awful shivering and muscle spasms in my legs and its really painful, I am always cold and always feel really nervous about things. I have an essay due in that is important and I can't write anything from the pain in my back, its a new level of pain and discomfort.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic, I am sorry that you feel unwell

There are different possible causes for the symptoms that you are experiencing. One of the potential causes is hypothyroidism which is a low level of thyroid hormone.This is a hormone that plays an important part in the metabolism of the body.
Hypothyroidism is commonly associated with cold intolerance and muscle spasm, the inability to tolerate cold would lead to shivering.It is diagnosed by a examination (there are certain features that are present when a person with hypothyroidism is examined) and by a blood test to assess the level of the thyroid hormone.

In addition to hypothyroidism, electrolyte imbalance (levels checked by blood tests) and excess activity can result in muscle spasms.

In addition to the physical causes of your discomfort, it is possible for physical complaints to be worsened by anxiety or stress.

Muscular spasms can be treated by (1) treating the underlying cause (2) keeping yourself well hydrated (3) stretching the muscles involved (4) the use of anti inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen,cataflam with meals provided there are no contraindications to their use (5) a muscle relaxant may be necessary

It may be best, if possible to visit your doctor for a thorough assessment and treatment plan.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions