Owl Image

Started severe hair loss. Not cured by herbal and non herbal shampoos. Any advice?

Dermatologist
Question
My wife(25 yrs) is facing terrible hair loss everyday.She is not under any medication.She is a nursing mother.She had long and thick hair.This problem has started recently after she has come to Bangalore from Kerala.But she never had this problem before(even in Bangalore).She uses "Parachute'coconut oil.She has tried both herbal and non herbal shampoos.And she doesn't have dandruff.

Please advice.
Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Hair Loss

Answered by Dr. Kruti 1 hour later
Hello

I will be glad to be of assistance and will be happy to answer all your queries till you get a satisfactory answer.

I can understand your concern very well.

The most important thing that you mentioned is that your wife is a nursing mother.

she is experiencing what we refer to as telogen effluvium.

That means when she was pregnant all the hair on her scalp had gone into a resting phase. After she delivered all the hair that were in resting phase started shedding together. Hence she is experiencing a sudden increase in hair fall.

There is nothing to worry. All ladies experience this after childbirth.
It is self resolving. It starts three months after childbirth and continues for three months and then stops. All the lost hair re grows back.
I would just recommend that she take supplements of vitamin biotin daily.
This vitamin is good for hair growth and will aid in slowly controlling the hair fall.

Its safe in nursing mothers.

Please let me know if I can address any other concerns for you.