Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Started pain in stomach and weird bowel after falling hard on butt. Ultrasound done. Any ideas?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 1660 Questions
Hi, I fell down on my butt on cement stairs about 3 years ago, i landed hard on my butt. since then i have pain in my stomach and my bowls are weird, cramping alot. i had a vaginal ultrasound, a regular ultrasound and the only thing they found is a band like in my virgina, they said that it should be a v shape and mine is not, no one seems to be able to help me ..any ideas? also I now have itching after I have a bowl movement and burning
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 5 hours later

Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

So to summarize what you are saying: You had an accident 3 years ago that correlates with the onset of abdominal pain (presumable low in the pelvis) and an ultrasound performed shows some evidence of a possible genital tract anomaly - i.e. something did not look normal with regard to the vagina or uterus.

I am not sure to what extent the accident was necessarily the cause of your chronic pain. The fact that it has continued for 3 years suggests that there is something else possibly going on.

With regard to the findings on ultrasound, it seems that this should be explored further. The question has not been answered whether this is in some way related to your pain. If you have not had a pelvic exam, then this needs to be done. In terms of defining an abnormality such as this, an MRI of the pelvis might be a good place to start. Also, a CT scan could evaluate for other causes of abdominal pain that the ultrasounds are unable to detect, such as:

1. GI causes of pain, such as diverticular disease of the colon
2. Urologic causes of pain, such as kidney stones and urinary tract anomalies (that are sometimes associated with uterine anomalies)
3. Bone, joint, or disc disease - that might have been caused by accident that you described.

So what I might recommend is an opinion from an OB/GYN and a complete or repeat pelvic exam. Then you can discuss whether additional imaging would be indicated or helpful.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions, please ask. Once you are satisfied with my answer, remember to ACCEPT so that I receive credit for my answer! Good luck!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor