Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

Started pain and swelling underneath the nail. Should I see a doctor to have it examined?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 4361 Questions
I just started working at a kennel and wearing shoes that were irritating my toenail. It starting bruising a few days ago and is somewhat painful with swelling underneath the nail. I'm afraid the pain is going to increase with me on my feet all day and being surrounded by dirty kennel water that gets into my shoes. Should I see a doctor to have it examined? Here is a picture: WWW.WWWW.WW
Posted Thu, 2 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

I understand how debilitating a bruised toe can be. I see that you have uploaded a pic but unfortunately I am not able to view it. Could you please upload it though our website?

For the pain I suggest Acelofenac, it is a potent analgesic ideal for this type of pain. Please ask your doctor for a prescription and also stop wearing any type of footwear covering the toe for a while. Avoid exposure of the toe nail to moisture, always keep it dry and clean. You can use topical antiseptic as well.

I am awaiting your reply

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Started pain and swelling underneath the nail. Should I see a doctor to have it examined? 9 hours later
I attached some pictures in the reports attached to this query section. Please let me know if you cannot view them.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 59 minutes later

Thank you so much for attaching the photos

I have seen the photos, the great toe is slightly swollen,red and also there is discolouration.
I strongly recommend you to approach a general surgeon soon. You might require a course of antibiotics like amox with clavulanic acid for 5 days. The analgesic I had recommended earlier and also tips on how to manage the wound stays good.

I hope you get well soon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor