Started oral contraceptives to regulate period. Had intercourse. Chances of getting pregnant?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: i hav strted oral contraceptives to regulate my periods about 13days back bt my bf n i had sex bt he did not cum inside me nd took it our in about 20-30secs is dr any chance of geting pregnant?
if der is shud i take an emergncy pill?wud it harm havjng an emergency pill wid oral contraceptives??
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 15 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

First give me information about the following questions.

1.     Tell me the date of your last menstrual period.
2.     When did you start the oral contraceptive?
3.     What is the composition of the pill?
4.     Did you miss any pill during these 13 days?

Look, from your description, I think there is very little chance of pregnancy. But, for a better advice, give the answers of the above questions.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 10 minutes later
my last period was 16-20 dec n i strtd d pill from 22nd n i havnt missd any pill since den
composition of pill is levonorgestrel & ethinyloestradiol tablets
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 16 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.

So, you have not missed any pill.

In that case, you do not need any emergency contraceptive. Because, the pill containing levonogesterol and ethinylestradiol is a very efficient drug. It has very low failure rate.

But, you have to continue it captiously. Do not miss any pill.

Regarding the use of pills, you should start it from the first day of menstruation, and continue for 21 days and then give 7 days gap and then start again. Do not start it any time between 2 periods. Because, in that case, you may experience increased gap between 2 periods.

Hope you have your answers.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 4 hours later
bt isnt itsaidd dt d contraceprives dont work in d first month?
he didnt discharg inside me so i dont hav to worry or take ay emergency pil?
is drr any risk?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 38 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, the pill you are taking contains estrogen and progesterone analogues. They increase the consistency of vaginal secretion and prevents sperm motility. They inhibit ovulation. If ovulation has occurred and suppose fertilization has occurred by unprotected sex, then they will prevent anchoring and further events. Thus they provides contraception.

From the above discussion, do you think there is any possibility that the pill will not work for first month? I do not know, from where you get this idea. But it is wrong.

It will definitely prevent pregnancy. If you have done any intercourse in between 20 and 22nd December, then it will not provide contraception for that period.

More over, he did not discharge inside you. Then there is very little risk as i described previously.

Lastly, you do not need to take any emergency contraceptive. Continue taking pills. Just do not miss any pill.

Hope you have your answers.

Regards.