Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Started nose bleeding with monstrous blood clots. Should I be concerned?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
Hi, I recently travelled to india, Tibet, and Nepal. I had a 2.5hr nose bleed with monstrous blood clots. I get these nose types of nose bleed usually in the winter. The last large nose bleed I had was a week ago. Today as I was bending down to pick up something from the floor a watery brown liquid poured from my left nostril. My inner left nostril feels tingly as if the watery substance had irritated it. I'm curious if these symptoms are something I should be concerned about and go to the doctor or if it's common and I should just forget about it? Thanks so much

Posted Fri, 2 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

I am concerned regarding the severity of your symptoms. Symptoms you have described are something which I think you should see your doctor to discuss.

My first concern is that you may have a dysfunction of your platelets or your platelet count may be below. This can cause issues with spontaneous bleeding and nosebleeds. The fact that you have a history of autoimmune disease also places you at higher risk for platelet dysfunction.

In addition your doctor should take a good look into your nose to see if there is anything such as a polyp which is exacerbating your symptoms.

I do not think you have anything that is life-threatening at this point but I do think you should have this investigated.

Your doctor might consider getting some laboratory tests done including a complete blood count as well as some markers of autoimmune process which might cause a lower platelet count.

Thank you once again for sending your question. If you have any additional concerns regarding this matter I would be happy to discuss those with you.


Dr. Robert

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor