Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Started light bleeding with headache and large abdomen. Feeling fatigue. HPT negative. What's wrong?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1846 Questions
I visited my girlfriend for two weeks immediately after I left her period went from lasting quite a few days to only a day and the bleeding was very light. She started becoming more fatigued and having headaches mood swings strong cravings. She is supposedly "7 months" now and her stomach is very large beyond normal "pms bloating" shes taken many pregnancy tests and gotten all negatives but 1 pregnancy test did show positive. All of them were urine tests and no doctor has given her a blood test. Multiple midwives and doctors have checked her heart beat per minute and it was well above 100 leading them to believe she was pregnant. She's had 2 ultrasounds the first the doctor only scanned her waist line and found nothing the 2nd the doctor scanned her waistline belly and did a vaginal probe and saw no baby. Really stumped here could use any insight please
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

A large abdomen could be because of various causes.
It could be because just fat in the wall of the abdomen, a mass or a growth in the organs of the abdomen, etc. (like a myoma, ascites). So a large abdomen should not be mistaken for pregnancy.

Heart rate can be around 100 per minute because of various causes. Hyperthyroidism, anemia, anxiety etc are common causes. Even a quick walk can result in such heart rate. So this is also not diagnostic of pregnancy. Any way all the urine tests were negative. The one odd test could be wrongly positive or there could have been a abortion after that.

If ultrasound is negative for pregnancy then other causes of large abdomen and cessation of menstruation (amenorrhea) should be looked for.

She needs to be evaluated by a qualified gynecologist to exclude various causes of amenorrhea.

Hope this helps. I will be pleased to comment upon your other doubts, should you have any.

Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor