Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Started having severe wheezing and cough. Diagnosed as allergy. Looking for alternate diagnosis?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
HI Doctor,

My mother has cultivated severe wheezing from past two years. She has consulted several doctors but still the problem persists. Doctors say it is an allergy. Cough has accumulated inside.
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Your mother seems to be having post menopausal asthma.
The studies have found that post menopausal women should have some weight management.
In adults,asthma usually occurs due to increased insulin resistance resulting in inflamed airways and ultimately resulting in asthma.
Thin women going through menopause and having BMI less than 23 have less estrogen in them due to lack of body fat and this results in increased insulin resistance.
So basically you have to have a proper weight in females undergoing postmenopausal asthma.
Your doctor should consider a hormone replacement therapy along instructions to the patient to take care of her weight.
Ask your mother to decrease her insulin resistance by way of doing regular exercises.
I would advise you to consult a pulmonologist and a gynecologist simultaneously to take care of her asthma and hormone replacement therapy.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor