Started having pain between breast. Taking medicine for acid reflux. Cause and cure?

Dr. Krishna Kumar

Spine Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: I am so frustrated and in pain! Approximately 2 months ago I started having this weird pain in between my breasts and under my left breast. I of course thought I was having a heart attack at 42 years old. I called the cardiologist and went through a stress test, EKG, echocardiogram everything was perfect. He referred me to a gastro doctor who started me on acid reflux meds and did an upper scope. Everything came out great again. I finally figured out that I wanted to call this pain an electrical shock feeling. It takes my breath away! It is beginning to interfere with my well being. Sometime worse on exertion and comes and goes. Can you help me?
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for sharing your problem with me here.

It appears that you are having girdle pain.

It could be either due to the inflammation of the nerves running along the ribs - treatment of which is pain medicines; or could be arising from your spine.

Therefore, I suggest you take CT/MRI of your spine to rule out such issues.

Do let me know if you have further concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Krishna Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for your response! What causes girdle pain and is it normal for it to come out of no where? Would Motrin be a good choice due to its anti inflammatory.
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 57 minutes later
Thank you for reverting.

As I mentioned earlier two causes of pain- neuritic pain or pain arising from spine.

Yes, it can just start all of a sudden and can be very annoying.

Yes, you can try Motrin for pain relief and if you do not get better in a week or so; go ahead for a spine investigation.