Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Started getting pain in leg while going up and down the staircase or running. Looking for cure

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
Sir/Madam, I am 36 years old. After very long gap, i went for playing cricket 15 days back. While running or bowling a small twist might have happened in my left knee but i dont remember exactly. Since that day i am getting pain in my left knee especially while going up and down the stairecase, while running, while sitting down the ground and getting up back. But while walking on plain space there will be no pain. Almost 15 days over, still same condition. Please help me.
Posted Thu, 22 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.

You might having stretched or torn ligament or hamstring pull while running or bowling.

Due to this, your knee becomes unstable and painful during running or walking on uneven surface.

If your knee locks in position when you are moving, it can be due to damaged cartilage.

I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination of knee. You may get the X-ray/MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance to determine extent of damage and further treatment.

You can also upload the X-rays/MRI here so that we can discuss this here. You can use 'Upload your reports' section.

Meanwhile you can take painkiller like Ibuprofen, which may help to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid putting weight and rest well.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health....
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor