Started getting irregular periods. Feeling weak with stomach cramps. Could I be pregnant?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Question: Hi doc, i had menstruation on the 02 of November and it lasted for a day. And on November 27, another menstruation which lasted for three days. Now, my menstruation started yesterday December 20 and is just so light. What do I do? Could I be pregnant?
I feel weak, feel like throwing up, my left breast is secretive, feel a little cram besides the left side of my stomach
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

The possibilities are:
-Short menstrual cycle. First cycle was of 25 days length and second one with 23 days length.
-If you had unprotected intercourse around the time of ovulation, then there is possibility of pregnancy.
Though the symptoms you mentioned are suggesting pregnancy, we cannot confirm the pregnancy just by symptoms because these can be seen in other conditions also.
So you once go for urine test or blood test for pregnancy which will rule out the possibility.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 11 hours later
I did the urine test and it was negative. Am confused doc. I also had in protected sexual intercourse.
So, what is the consequence of being pregnant and menstrating?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 4 hours later

As you had protected intercourse and as the pregnancy test is negative there is very less possibility for pregnancy.
The woman you is having bleeding in pregnancy, may continue the pregnancy after stopping of bleeding or she may abort.
So if you still have any doubt of being pregnant better to consult gynecologist once and undergo blood test for pregnancy or ultrasound which will clarify the doubt.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later
Thanks doc, am happy. But is there any medication for short term menstruation?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later
You are welcome. The normal length of the menstrual cycle can be taken as 28+/-7 days. According to this 21 days to 35 days duration can be taken as normal.
So according to this at present no need of any medication to you.
If the length of cycle further shortens you better consult gynecologist once.