Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Started gaining weight. Lipid profile test showed raised cholesterol levels. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 1417 Questions
I am 29 yr old male. My height is 182 cm and weight is 92 kgs. waist size is 112 cms.
I have gained inches on my tummy in the last yr or so ever since i moved to bangalore may be because of high starch food like idli dosa. I walk atleast 3-4kms per day. Alcohol intake is about 90-120 ml once in 10 days, eat non veg once in a week.
I recently got my Lipid profile done. the report is attached. I note the good cholesterol levels are low and bad cholesterol levels are high.
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 41 minutes later

These changes are generally early changes in raised cholesterol levels stages.So it is always advisable to act effectively at this stage.

Medications to control cholesterol are not indicated at this stage.

At this stage modification in diet and adding some cardiac exercises should suffice in your case.Add more vegetables and fruits to your diet.Avoid heavy meals at one time, try having small meals at intervals.Never skip breakfast.Don't sleep immediately after meals.A afternoon nap is known to reduce cardiac disease.Even a 15 min nap can help.Manage stress well.Drink lots of water.Avoid fatty , spicy and junk food.

Alcohol intake once in 10 days is fine.But it is always better to keep it in acceptable limits.

Try to loose some weight.

You can repeat cholesterol levels after 6 months.

Hope this answers your question.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor