Started feeling tired, jumping heart rate and have cough. Should I be worried?

Dr. Anil Grover

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have just started working out with a personal trainer two weeks ago. Today I was on stair climber and heart rate monitor on my chest went to 181 (I am 41 years old. 4 foot 4 inches and 139 lbs senentary job no cardio workouts for a couple of years after having baby). I had a hard time continuing to work out and get the rate down. I've been tired all day and my heart just started to feel like its jumping and my breath catches and the feeling makes me cough. I've had this problem in the past but nothing was found other than a slight pulmonary valve regurge (6 years ago). What is this and should I be worried? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 25 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist and I read your question with diligence.
Honestly speaking it is a matter of concern not of getting panicked.
If you had idiopathic pulmonary dilatation leading to slight pulmonary regurgitation as your mail suggests then perhaps you embarked upon full cardio exercise schedule without warm up from a sedentary life style. If it was pulmonary regurgitation due to lung disease or pulmonary hypertension then it is different. Best will be to consult a cardiologist, who after thorough physical examination will do get chest x-ray and echocardiography+Doppler examination done to establish the status of the slight regurgitation of pulmonary regurgitation. If then you tell your intention for start doing cardio exercise protocol. He will be happy to do one of the pre determined protocol of Treadmill Test where every beat of your heart and series of blood pressure shall be monitored right from pre-exercise stage to 4 minutes into recovery. The peak exercise shall be chosen on the spot depending upon continuous monitoring results and your tolerance. Then you can ask questions how much exercise you should start with, what peak exercise you ought to aim for and when to stop. You pass on the instructions to trainer and everything will be fine. With the kind of experience you have had I would not risk doing the same again without seeing the doctor. That way all risks are eliminated.
If you have any followup question(s), I will be only too happy to answer. Good Luck.
With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist & Medical Specialist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW