Started feeling pain and irritation in eye. Any thoughts?

Dr. Mihir Shah

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: About 4 hours ago before going to bed, I felt irritation in my left eye, felt like animal dander. Washed my hands and irrigated the eye. 2 hours later felt the same thing and did the same. Looked in my eye and the white of the eye has a gooey, jelly like substance, thickest in bottom left (almost dpilling over lid) but also apparent in upper right. Seem to remember this from years ago, but not this much goo. It seems contained to the white area. Only pain is a very mild, dry-feeling pull in lower left when I blink (where jelly is thickest). Your thoughts? Shall I try to "sleep on it" and see if it corrects itself?
Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX,

From your description it looks like you have developed conjunctivitis ( eye infection). I would suggest you to see an eye doctor and start applying antibiotic eye drops.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah