Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Started doing plyometrics for high trigylceride levels. Looking for suggestion?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
My husband, for health reasons, started doing plyometrics for his high trigylceride levels. We were thrilled by the decrease in his levels after a month but was shocked when he got a 250 sgpt. What does this mean? Its only been a month. He already had an average of 85 sgpt but the jump was surprising. What would you recommend? His cholesterol level is within normal range.
Posted Mon, 30 Jul 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query
Yes definitely it does raise a concern.
The most common causes for high SGPT are
Alcoholism,high triglycerides,diabetes,obesity and use of herbal preparations,antibiotics,anti lipids,pain killers and anti seizure medicines.
I would advise ypu to continue your exercises,stop anti lipid medicine and take care of factors mentioned above.
Wait for a month and repeat your SGPT levels.
If they are still very high,then you should look for other causes of high SGPT like
Auto immune disorders of liver and bile ducts
Various hepatitis
and tumors of liver
By getting various investigations like ultrasound,MRI,CT SCAN and possibly liver biopsy for the diagnosis.
Please consult a Gastroenterologist for the required investigations,if such a situation arises.
Please get back to me for any other query you wish.
Best of luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Started doing plyometrics for high trigylceride levels. Looking for suggestion? 20 hours later
Thank you so much, Dr! Will be visiting a Gastroenterologist today but your reply has given us a lot to think about and ask. Thank you and God bless you!
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 10 minutes later
Best of luck to you and your husband.
You are most welcome to ask anything anytime.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor