Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Started coughing and noticed blood clot in mucus. Is this serious?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 926 Questions
My Father in Law is 68 year old and healthy person. Suddenly now he is coughing and clotted blood is coming along with the mucus. He is not having pain or any other discomfort. But every time he coughs, blood is coming (started this night), He had a hectic schedule last week, as my sister in law underwent a surgery. Is this something serious, do we need to see a doctor immediately or can we wait and watch?
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 44 minutes later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

I would advise you to take your father-in-law to a doctor as soon as possible.
Hemoptysis (Coughing up of blood) can be due to many conditions like Pneumonia, Bronchitis,Tuberculosis, Bronchogenic carcinoma etc.

Is the current episode asssociated with fever, difficulty in breathing?
History of smoking/ alcohol consumption?
Any history of significant weight loss recently?

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Started coughing and noticed blood clot in mucus. Is this serious? 12 hours later
Okay Doctor, we took him to a Doctor and
He did some tests and said some dust infection. So nothing to worry. He is still in hospital, will be discharged today evening.

He does have difficulty in breathing whenever he climbs stairs or walks fast,

Thanks for the response.
Do you have any other advice for him based on his condition?
Here are the test reports and tomorrow we would do a CT scan. He does not smoke or drink and he had lost some weight of late due to physical exertion. Please see these reports

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 23 hours later

Analysing your father -in-law's reports, he has prostatomegaly, (probably benign prostatic hypertrophy) for which he is already on Contiflo-D.

The radiologist also mentioned that he wants to rule out some infection or Koch's disease( tuberculosis) in the lungs.

In view of your father in law's advancing age and recent weight loss, it is important to do a CT scan. It can help to detect infections, tumors etc..

If it is an infection, the current condition can be treated with antibiotics and other medication.

In the meantime, he could do steam inhalation 3 times a day.
Drink warm water at regular intervals.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Started coughing and noticed blood clot in mucus. Is this serious? 30 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Thank for your reply. I have got the CT scan report, attached. Kindly advice.

Best Regards,

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 13 hours later

I have gone through the CT scan report. It says that there is evidence of bronchiectasis and emphysema. The bronchiectasis triggered by an acute infection might be the cause of coughing up of blood.

This condition should subside with a course of antibiotics which would have been prescribed by the doctor for 7-10 days.

The doctor might have also prescribed inhalers, or other medications also based on your father- in- law's clinical examination.

Also do continue with drinking warm water at regular intervals .
Steam inhalation 3 times a day.

The CT scan also says there are lung changes of emphysema . Probably he used to smoke in the past or might have had a case of bronchial asthma . Maybe that is why he is on the rotahaler.

I would also advise him (once he gets better from the present illness) to sign up for yoga classes, if you have a good instructor in your area. Do mention to the yoga instructor that he is having COPD/ Emphysema. I'm sure it will help him tremendously.

Hope I have provided some useful information.

Do get back to me if you have any further queries.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor