Started coughing and head hurts while moving eyes or head. What to do?

Posted on Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: My son just moved to Munich with unexpected cold weather...his throught started hurting...coughing alot at times..now everything is calmed down but his head still hurts when moving eyes or head...Please help what to do
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

From your description of your son's condition that looks to me like an asthmatic attack. Also required to rule out acute bronchitis ( probably due to virus and provoked by cold).
Cold weather and infection are good triggers of asthma even to people with no family history or previous asthma attacks. If there is any family history of asthma, then the cause for his worry is asthma and that is the reason why everything was checked to be normal.
My advice is for him to get ventoline spray in case he gets another attack to relief him from the attack if he goes through one again.

Hope this helps
Dr Nsah
Follow up: Dr. Nsah Bernard 6 minutes later
He only has asma when he was two years old and never came back...so why now?????
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 24 minutes later
Thanks for updating

Most often, asthma is usually triggered by certain factors such as emotional stress, cold, infection and just to name a few. If he had asthma since he was 2 and never had any episode then it simply means that the condition (s) that could have triggered the asthma never existed (or rather were not put together to trigger the crisis) or he simply resisted to having another episode (by body's autodefense mechanisms). Acute bronchitis is another cause for concern ( he might have picked an airborne virus from another person) which could have provoked this problem.
Asthmatic could remain inert for several years and only start recurring after a length time. Maybe you should try to find out from your son if he was recently emotional stress especially a few hours before the attack or had an infection.
Cold is the most likely culprit especially dry cold.

Hope this helps
Dr Nsah

Dr. Nsah Bernard