Started constipation and abdominal pain after taking vicodin. Is this normal?

Dr. Aparna Kohli

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I saw my doctor last Sunday. My wisdom teeth are coming in, I was given Vicodin for the pain, Amoxicillin for the abscess in my mouth, and they found I have high blood pressure do they started me on Lisinopril. I haven't had a Bowel Movement since the beginning of the week which I figured was from the Vicodin, I took a laxative today and after a few hours had a BM, but I saw what I can only describe as bits of flesh or raw ground beef in my stool. It was not painful, but have had a little abdominal pain which seems to be from gas as I've been a little gassy. I'm 30yr male.
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 5 hours later
Thanks for sharing your concern with us.
You're right that the constipation could have been due to Vicodin but we need to make sure that your fiber intake ( in terms of whole grains, fruits and vegetables) and water intake was fine throughout the period.
as far as the reddish material in the stools is concerned, it could be something that you have eaten or a simple change in the color and texture of stools which is seen when you do not pass stools for several days.
The abdominal pain could be contributed by the constipation.
What we need to do here is probably switch you to another pain killer. You could try Tablet Aspirin 1 tablet 3-4 times daily with food. Since this is going to Also, take plenty of fruits, vegetables and water.
If this recurs, you would need to see your physician for an examination. We may need some investigations like colonoscopy to follow up.
Hope that helps