Started bleeding heavily after removing coil. Will it start bleeding after stopping tranexamic acid?

Dr. Minoo Bhagia

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Question: I had a coil removed/replaced 12 days ago and was bleeding very heavily - dr gave me tranexamic acid which has now stopped the bleeding - however there is only enough for 10 days (another 7 days supply) - when I stop taking them will the bleeding return. I don't want to be on them long term because I am worried about side effects - however I don't want that massive bleeding to come back again. She has also prescribed me extra progesteron tablets that she says will get my hormones back in kilter.
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 10 minutes later
Hello

Welcome and thanks for writing to us

I would like to know whether the coil was removed due to heavy bleeding or there was heavy bleeding after removal of the coil.Secondly whether it was a simple coil or a mirena coil.It is good that you got it removed.The bleeding usually stops within 10-15 days after the removal.Tranexamic acid is a good drug and will control the bleeding.If there is an underlying cause of bleeding like an endometrial hyperplasia or hormonal imbalance or hypothyroidism then the bleeding can recur for which you have to take progesterone like norethisterone or medroxyprogesterone under your doctor's guidance.Get Hb levels and ultrasound done.Take iron supplements.

Best wishes
Any further query is most welcome

Follow up: Dr. Minoo Bhagia 10 minutes later
It was a merina coil - I had it fitted 5 years ago for heavy bleeding and it was great. It had come to end of its life and I had started to bleed again so I got it replaced. I was a bit shocked because I'd had no bleeding after the first one was fitted but this time the clots were massive. My GP said it was because of the new hormones coming in my body. I am taking iron. I am glad the bleeding has stopped with the tranexamic acid and I have not also started the norethisterone (which my GP says should get my hormone levels straightened out) - I am just worried that when I stop the tranexamic acid in a couple of days the bleeding will return as heavy as it was. It was so heavy that I had to change my pad every hour (or less). I have to say I am a big fanof the Mirena coil but just a bit anxious that this time I have bled so much. Maybe I am taking bad having been bleed free for five years.Sorry that should read that I have NOW started the norethisterone. I am on both the acid and this.
Hello

Welcome back

Mirena coil can cause bleeding for first three months then it gradually stops.It gives best response in an endometrial hyperplasia.As you have got it removed the bleeding will stop gradually if there is no associated factor like fibroid in the uterus.As you are reaching perimenopausal age so it can be another cause for heavy bleeding.It is good that you started norethisterone and tranexamic acid.Do not worry and keep an inj of tranexamic acid with you.If clotting and very heavy bleeding occurs it is better to visit your doctor till then this inj can be given IM.
Best wishes