Started bleeding between periods and getting severe pain. What should I do?

Dr. Chetna Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Question: Hi Doctor,

For last two months, i am getting periods twice in a month. on 15 days interval. My last period was 19th Nov and 3rd Dec. ( on 3rd dec it was only mild). both was till 4 to 5 days.

After this i did not get period this month i.e actually should be on 20th Dec. Also for last one week i am getting a pain inside the place where we release motion. Its for only a fraction of second but the pain little heavy.
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Its important to rule out pregnancy in first place if you are sexually active.
If you are taking/ have taken emergency contraceptive pill this is a common side effect.
Please do serum beta hCG if you are sexually active, if positive report to the local Gynae immediately. If negative then do urine preg test every 7 days with first morning sample till you get proper flow.
If you are not active then you must do an ultrasound to rule out polycystic ovaries and ovarian cysts etc.
You may also need to do the following hormones on day 2 of cycle fasting..FSH, LH, Prolactin,TSH.
Please send the above investigations for a better opinion.
If the bleeding has occurred after the sexual contact then a vaginal exam and Paps smear is mandatory.
best wishes