Owl Image

Started bleeding after periods, burns while urinating and feeling nauseous. Any advice?

Question
Hi doc. I am a 31 year old female. I have had my period 3 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago I started to bleed again, but it only lasted a day and was light. This week I started again and it's lasted for a 4 days but isn't as heavy as my normal cycle. My vaginal walls feel swollen and tender. Burns a little when I urinate. Also was feeling a bit nauseous just yesterday for the first time. Don't know if it would help, but I have a seventeenth month old boy. Please could you advise. Thank you
Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
Hello I would be happy to help you with your question!

Have you checked a pregnancy test?
Are your cycles normally regular?
Are on any form of birth control?

Follow-up: Started bleeding after periods, burns while urinating and feeling nauseous. Any advice? 1 hour later
Hi doctor. I did a pregnancy test last week and it was negative. My cycles are always regular and I'm not on any birth control.

I am sorry about the delay to get back to you. Thank you for the followup answers. So from what you are saying, there are four (?related) problems going on:

1. Irregular / abnormal bleeding
2. Vaginal swelling / discomfort
3. Burning with urination
4. Nausea

This is in the setting of a negative pregnancy test, prior regular cycles, and no birth control. I guess that I will start by stating those things that should be checked out:

1. Pregnancy test one week ago - I would check it again just to be safe
2. Burning with urination - could be a sign of a bladder infection - either calling your doctor for a prescription or going in to get your urine checked would be appropriate
3. Vaginal pain / swelling / discomfort - this could be related to the burning with urination. Even in the absence of a discharge or itching, the most common cause would be a vaginal yeast infection. This can easily be treated over the counter with a yeast medication cream

Now, back to the abnormal bleeding. My best guess is that you experienced a cycle that is called an "anovulatory cycle" meaning that you did not ovulate. When this happens, the lining of the uterus then starts to shed irregularly and unpredictably. The other cause of bleeding like this is anatomical changes such as polyps within the uterus. This is probably best evaluated with an exam and ultrasound.

I hope this helps. Please let me know what other questions that you have!!