Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

Started bleeding after periods. Sonography showed hypertrophied cervix. What should be the treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3629 Questions
treatment of hypertrophied cervix The problem is of bleeding after12 days of menstruation. She has a regular menstruation in past ,. The problem occured only yesterday,The sonography shows all organs normal execpt hypertrophied cervix, the blood pressure and glucose level is normal No any other disease or problem.What should be the treatment,
Posted Mon, 15 Oct 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 54 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

Cervical hyperplasia is a form Uterine Cervical Dysplasia where in the cervical epithelium undergoes abnormal proliferation. It is considered to be a precancerous condition.

A biopsy of the cervical mucosa is essential to asses the degree of involvement and the risk involved.

There are different grades of the condition based on the Biopsy findings.
1.) Low grade squamous intraepithelial lesion
2.) High grade squamous intraepithelial lesion
3.) Malignant undifferentiated

Treatment depends on the degree of dysplasia and other biopsy findings.

Mild Dysplasia is self limitng and most of times due to infective origin.Here a careful observation with repeat Pap smears every 3 - 6 months would suffice. Treatment is recommended, If the hyperplastic changes last for more than a year.
The other grades of hyperplasia are considered premalignant and are treated by
one amongst options like Cone Biopsy , Cryosurgery, LASER therapy or Loop Electrosurgical Excision Procedure.

Hysterectomy is also recommended in few women and the patient will need regular follow up every 3 to 6 months.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor