Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Staphylococcal infection in the semen, recovery period

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
Hello, My husband just got his results back from a semen culture and it was positive for Staphylococcus Aureus. I basically wanted to know if this was a life threatening infection and could he transmitt the infection to me. I also would like to know will this infection affect us from having any more babies?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Men Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 56 minutes later

Thanks for the query.

Your husband has tested positive for staph infection. This will be cured with a course of antibiotics. There should be no long lasting effect on the semen quality but its always advisable to get a semen analysis repeated after 6 months. Chances of fertility are not affected.

This isn't a life threatening condition. But sometimes in case,of high grade infectionyou may have staph infection also.

I suggest you to consult your primary doctor for appropriate antibiotics. Culture and antibiotic sensitivity test is also recommend if the prescribed antibiotic is not effective.

Hope this is helpful. If you have any more queries, I am available to address them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor