Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Stage 4 renal cell cancer with spreading to bone. Treatment options?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1462 Questions
thank you. my father has been diagnosed with stage 4 renal cell cancer that has spread to his bonesl. he has chosen hospice care and i would like to have some idea as to what to expect with this. my mother had leukemia and my husband developed a rare condition called pyoderma gangrenosum, both died. i am my dads primary care-giver and i have no idea what to expect. any help would be greatly appreciated
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 5 hours later

Thanks for the query.

I am sorry to hear about your father. You mentioned that it has spread to his bones and he has chosen hospice.

Though stage 4 disease is incurable, there are some drugs (targeted therapy) which can lead to some improvement in symptoms and extend survival. These are however very expensive but usually covered by insurance.

If the medical oncologist feels one of these could be started, then that is one option now.

Otherwise we should provide him comfort care (pain medicines and other symptomatic medicines) by means of palliative care.

I am afraid survival is usually about 3-6 months in such scenarios (without any targeted therapy). Targeted therapy may prolong survival by an average of six months.

Hope I have answered your query. Should you have any additional queries, I will be available to address them. Please accept this answer if you do not have any other queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor