Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Stabbing pain at the top of leg near hamstring. Stretching aggravates pain. Advise?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10460 Questions
I have an aching sdometimes stabbing pain at the top of my right leg where I think the hamstring may attach. This has been going on for 6 mths plus. I have rested it for last 2-3 months but is still there. Im very flexible and had been doing pilates but have stopped because the stretching was aggravating it.Its particularly sore if I bend over from the hips with straight legs
Posted Thu, 30 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
Aching on the top of right leg is likely to be due to a mild muscle sprain or tear. Repeated injuries and inadequate warming up and stretching before moving the muscles increases the chances of pain.
Doing too much,too soon and too fast creates problem.
Repeated injuries cause formation of scar tissue and subsequently complete healing doesn't take place .
Other factors are
Poor fitness levels and lack of regular exercises
Poor nutrition and obesity
Some times referred pain from bulging discs is the reason.

Treatment is done by
Icing of the area of the pain.
Take both legs towards chest with hands below knees
Full recovery takes 3 to 6 weeks.

Take enough calcium, VIT D3 and B complex vitamins
Do stretching for 15 minutes before you do any exercise
Use proper shoes
Strengthening your hamstrings with proper exercise.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor