Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Stabbed ear with cotton bud, ringing ears, bleeding. Help

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2349 Questions
hi i was cleaning my ear with an ear bud and the cotton bud end came off
i stabbed my ear and now have ringging in my ear will it ever go
my hearing went low in that ear but has now returned to normal my ear bleed
the ringging goes low for afew days but then returns quite loud
this happend 5 months ago hoping you can help
many thanks AAAAA
Posted Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 59 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

With the flow of events that took place 5 months back, I do presume you had ruptured your eardrum.

When the eardrum is perforated there will be bleeding from the ear, reduced hearing as well as noise in the ear. The ringing sensation is due to gush of the air through the perforated ear drum into the middle ear.

My advice to you is to avoid water into the affected ear and get an audiogram done to evaluate the amount of damage. Also, consult your ENT specialist at the earliest to assess the condition of the eardrum and manage accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up query.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor