question-icon

Splotchy patches on calves and feet, diagnosed as pigmentation due to prior fluid retention. Can they be reversed?

Posted on Sat, 30 Jun 2012
Question: I have unattractive splotchy patches on my lower calves and feet. My doctor says they are pigment due to prior fluid retention. Can these splotches be reversed?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu (1 hour later)
Hi there.

You have provided with good information and I appreciate it. In order to guide you appropriately, I will need a few more details regarding your problem, so please answer the following questions in as much detail as possible.

Did you have a swelling over the red blotches before?

What preceding event occurred before the development of these blotches?

Were the blotches itchy or scaly, did they come after eating a certain food?

Some diseases like urticaria, wheals, ecchymosis (collection of blood under skin) etc. can occur due to allergy, insect bite, infections etc. can cause the clinical picture as mentioned by you.
A direct physical examination by a competent dermatologist will reveal the true nature / diagnosis of these lesions. Depending on diagnosis the prognosis about reversal of these splotches can be ascertained.

Post-inflammatory pigmentation usually gets relieved with hydroquinone based creams and ointments. Keep the area clean and dry. You may apply Lactocalamine lotion for some relief from itching and discomfort, if present.

Kindly respond to above queries.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu (7 hours later)
Thank you, Dr. XXXXXXX

I had quite a bit of swelling of my ankles before the blotches occurred. (I don't have swollen ankles now.) The blotches have been apparent for some months now.

The blotches look like freckles, except some areas are almost solidly "colored." There is no itching, scaling, swelling or discomfort of any kind--it is as if I just have really freckled skin in those areas (lower calves, ankles, tops of feet), but of course I don't have any freckles anywhere else.

Thank you for your advice.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu (12 minutes later)
Hi there.

The description could describe Vitamin B3 deficiency which can cause pigmentation and sometimes edema.

Better to eat food consisting of nuts, fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, milk, lean meat (if non-vegetarian). Drink plenty of water.

Kindly show the lesions to a Dermatologist for correct diagnosis and management.

Wishing good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon