Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Spleen removed after an accident. Got fever. Concerned for rib fracture and the lung injury

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
My son is in hospital he as had is spleen removed. Due to accident he as now got a tempreture 139 or just under so there must be an infection broken ribs and arm no more XXXXXXX bleeding but as a pipe in his throat to help him breath. Your comments please he is in critical care Nottingham
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
The photograph you have uploaded does not give any information.
Your son has suffered typical road traffic accident and it has resulted in poly-trauma with visceral injuries and critical lung injury.
He is on invasive ventilator support which is artificial respiration and is suppose best option for such sick patients.
He will need ICU care for days to come.
The rib fracture and the lung injury are still major concern because he might have developed the ventilator associated pneumonia and sepsis. Spleen when injured bleeds profusely and it is good that they have removed it.
I hope the have given him good broad spectrum antibiotics to cover for the infection.
Blood, urine and respiratory secretions should be sent for gram stain and culture tests so to further adjust the antibiotics. 39* fever is quite high, the temperature should be controlled with paracetamol and sponging as required.
He may need repeated blood transfusion, immunization for pneumococcal and haemophilus influenzae B.
Has he undergone NCCT brain and spine, if not so yet then get one and get a neurologist review.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor