Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

Splashed a bit of hot oil in eye. Feeling uncomfortable. Suggest some urgent home remedy

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1981
Answered : 922 Questions
Hello I splashed a bit of hot oil in my eye while cooking dinner tonight. I have washed it out for about 5 minutes with cold tap water. The eye is a little uncomfortable and feels grainy when I blink and it is red to look at. Can you please give me correct treatment as I do not have any 24hr doctors in my area.
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 22 minutes later

You have taken first correct step. And you knew third step. I hope you have time to take second step. Please ask any question I will try to answer ASAP.
     FIRST AID :

You need to wash with cold water until the irritation and pain goes away.

Close your eye to give it rest, avoid looking at bright light, that would irritate your eyes.

Keep your eye moist by putting in OTC drops like Aqua Tears to prevent irritation.

See a doctor for a prescription of Antibiotic Eyedrops like Gentamycin and further evaluation of the extent of the eye injury and assessment of vision.

Dr Anil Grover,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor