Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Spinal canal at c5 c6 decreased in its diameter. Do I need surgery?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
referring to my spine, at c5/6 the canal is reduced to 8mm does this mean that i will probably require surgery
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.

The symptoms you describe are concerning for cervical myelopathy, though other possibilities do exist. The cervical spinal canal is normally 12-15mm in diameter, with age related wear and tear, arthritis, injury etc., this canal can become smaller (stenosis). At 10mm and less, the spinal canal is considered at risk for compression/myelopathy (squeezed spinal cord) and at 7-8mm surgery is often initiated. However, depending on the patients symptoms and imaging findings, a patient may have surgery with larger canals.

Hope this information helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor