Sorry to disturb you again, but I have a question.

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 3 Apr 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Sorry to disturb you again, but I have a question. I have costochondritis and Friday plus yesterday morning at 10 a.m., I had two very painful chest ''spasms'' which went away after 10 minutes, but were much like angina, and they frightened me. I have been applying heat plus taking Tylenol extra-strength twice a day which seems to work. I had an ECG on Thursday and all is good.

Can you explain to me why I would have these spasms please? None today. Is it because movement can bring them on? The pain on the sternum cartilage which I can palpate seems to be going away slowly, but how does this sternum pain radiate through my chest and is it due to spasms? I just wish to understand the physionomy of this condition...

Thank you.                                                       
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir

As I have explained you earlier that the pain of costocondritis could present just like the angina chest discomfort but as your ecgs are fine so it’s pretty clear that this discomfort is not angina.

The underlying cause of costocondritis is very well understood. However the pain in this can radiate to other parts due to same neuronal supply ( same dermatome supplying different parts).

Yes pain can be recurring in many number Of patients and can be triggered by sudden muscle activity or by strenuous activity. So it’s advisable that one should take regular analgesic and avoid strenuous physical activity and take proper rest with hot fomentation for complete recovery.

I hope this information will answer your query.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T