Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Soreness on the c-section scar. Pus formation and pain in the stomach. Is it a boil?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 436 Questions
I just noticed tonight that I have a sore that has formed on my old c section scar is about 1 inch long by maybe 1/2 inch wide and is pussing and smells bad. I am really worried. my stomach has also started hurting and i feel sick. I have been eating but not much today. My husband thinks it looks like a boil that may have started to pop. Any clue what this could be or if i should have it seen too.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 28 minutes later

Thanks for the query.

I have gone through your report and reviewed the picture attached. To me, it looks more like an area of inflammation and not a localized boil. Presence of foul smell and pus is suggestive of infection.
1. When did you have your c-section?
2. Do you have fever or vomiting associated with this?

There is possibility that the old surgical scar is infected. It needs to be reviewed by your gynecologist. The pus needs to be drained and cleaned with antiseptic medication following which you may need topical and oral antibiotic coverage.

In the meanwhile avoid handling the area with bare fingers. Clean the area with warm water and apply topical antiseptics like Betadine / Neosporin ointment and take oral anti-inflammatory drugs like advil twice daily after food for few days. Wear loose cotton clothes. Always keep the area dry.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor