Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Soreness on roof of mouth, swollen glands in neck. Might this be a virus?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 325 Questions
I have a sore "rash type" burning pain on the roof of my mouth, like a "rash" effect, accompanied by swollen glands in my neck (more pronounced on the right side). Might this be a virus?
Posted Sat, 15 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query. I am happy to address your questions, mouth plays a significant role in moment-to-moment living. And even a minor oral problem can cause significant eating, drinking or communicating health consequences. Mouth is constantly taking in potentially mouth harming substances by way of the air you breath, the food that’s munched down on, those teeth picking fingers or bacterial and virus infection causing material allowed to pass through your lips. However, not all oral infections, pain or sores originate externally. Some diseases and disorders can be the genesis for trouble. But discovering its cause can be tricky. It could be due to tonsillitis, pharyngitis or even due to other conditions. Your sore mouth with rash treatment may depend on the cause of symptoms. Thus, will recommend you to kindly get yourself examined by your clinician who could diagnose and prescribe the requisite medication. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help. Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Soreness on roof of mouth, swollen glands in neck. Might this be a virus? 22 hours later
So how would I differentiate the symptoms that would be caused by a viral infection, versus a bacterial infection Remember there is pain, redness & scales on the upper pallet of my mouth, along with swollen glands in my neck. I am away on vacation & unable to see my doctor.
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 6 hours later
It will be very difficult to check if it is viral or bacterial, will recommend you take an antibiotic (broad spectrum like amoxicillin-clavulanic acid) which will take care of the bacterial concern, else if it is a viral it will subside over few days. You could take an anti-inflammatory along with the antibiotic to reduce the redness. Once you are back, you could get yourself examined by your clinician. If you do not have any further clarifications, will request you to kindly close the query and rate it. Wish you good health. Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor