Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Soreness on calf muscle after dog bite. Feeling difficulty to walk. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10207 Questions
Hi. I am a postal worker who has a walking mail delivery route and was bitten by a dog mid this afternoon on my upper left calf. Bite did not go thru 2 layers of clothing, so was just the muscle that was a little sore. I didn't give much thought to it and proceeded to finish my route over the next several hours. The muscle has now, however, become very sore and tender to the touch over the course of the evening - and I can hardly walk on it. What can I do for the muscle this evening/tonight to give myself an optimal chance of being able to do my route tomorrow?
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 30 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
It seems that the dog bite has caused a soft tissue injury in the area of your calf. Most of the times such injuries heal on their own in 7-10 days.
You can help the swelling and pain by taking following measures-
Use the RICE formula:
•Rest. Avoid putting weight on the painful leg.
•Ice. Apply cold packs or ice wrapped in a towel for short periods of time, several times a day.
•Compression- you can tie a crepe bandage in the area for relief.
•Elevation- Keep the leg elevated on two pillows.

Take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as aspirin or ibuprofen if you need more pain relief.
In case the swelling and pain increases then do attend an ER for examination and stronger prescription medicines.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor